Learning to Have Fun
We know what you mean. Between school, work, volunteering, taking care of things at home, and everything in between, it seems like having fun always takes a back seat. But did you know research shows that when people have fun they are healthier and do better in other areas of their life? It's true.
So part of being independent and planning your future is figuring out how you are going to have fun, what you like to do for fun, and things like that. Here are some ideas to get you going:
- Travel: taking trips, visiting relatives and friends, planning a cruise
- Movies: going to a movie or just staying home and renting one
- Sports: community sports leagues, organized sports, school sports
- Music: listening to music, playing music, going to concerts
- Theatre: going to a play or a show
- Shopping: going to the mall
- School clubs/organizations: there are a ton to choose from - like the school newspaper, student council, and 4-H - just to name a few
- Hobbies: making things, building things, collecting things
- Reading : you can read books, magazines, web sites, newspapers, comics - all kinds of things
- Watching T.V.: one of our personal favorites
These are just a few of the ways you can have fun in your spare time. Some of them - like joining a school club - can be fun and can be part of school at the same time. Now that's a good idea!
The point is - there are a million things to do. A million ways to have fun. You just have to think about what you like and what you enjoy and find a way to do that no matter where you are!
Try a Youthhood activity: